Integrated ESG approach
As asset managers, we assume great responsibility for advancing sustainable development in the real estate market.
ESG Real Estate Strategy
At DEAS Asset Management, we are dedicated to maintaining values and securing responsible financial growth by addressing our concerns for the future today.
We believe that a systematic and informed approach to identifying and managing ESG issues across a real estate portfolio will protect, and can significantly enhance, investment value. Agile measurement tools of a property’s resource usage, combined with performance objectives, will enable us to reduce our sector’s impact on climate and environment.
Our strategy is linked to the UN Sustainable Development Goals on Sustainable Cities and Communities and Decent Work and Economic Growth.
Focus areas for change
We have selected four areas of change to focus our efforts and actively participate in a sustainable development of the Nordic commercial real estate market:
- Changing climate and environment
- Changing demography
- Changing technology
- Changing demands for governance, engagement and transparency
ESG Real Estate Policy
Our work within ESG is coordinated by our ESG Working Group, with oversight from the Investment Board. Overall, our ESG ambitions can be categorized in three major areas:
- Managing risks: Addressing ESG risk factors in all investment activities, including deal sourcing, acquisitions, management and sales of real estate assets. We believe appropriate management of ESG risks will enhance risk-adjusted returns for our clients.
- Capturing opportunities: Developing tools and procedures that enable our teams to focus on identifying opportunities to improve ESG aspects of our portfolios and create long-term value for clients. All assets we consider for acquisitions are screened to identify ESG potential and risks, which are investigated thoroughly in the due diligence process.
- Long term targets: Setting long-term ESG targets together with our clients to provide clarity on direction and linking these targets with investment performance goals.
- Sharing of knowledge: We are developing our collective knowledge by having a strong focus on sharing of knowledge, skills and insights on relevant ESG factors across all functions.
- ESG is a team responsibility: While we have dedicated resources for ESG and specialist competencies within related topics, the responsibility is shared by the entire team. ESG is considered to be included in role descriptions and will be an important part of performance management.
- Connect with clients and industry: Actively participate in tackling ESG challenges through collaboration with clients and industry partners, teaming up with appropriate external experts.
Governance and transparency
- Governance: We have formal governance structures and policies to ensure our portfolios are managed in line with group and product ESG strategy.
- Transparency: We have transparency high on our agenda and communicate our ESG strategy and performance with our stakeholders frequently and in detail.
- Stakeholder engagement: We ensure our products and solutions are in line with the ambitions of our clients and occupiers by placing ESG at the forefront of cooperation with these stakeholders.
Requirements of the Disclosures Regulation
In accordance with the Disclosures Regulation's requirements for transparency, DEAS Asset Management complies with a well-defined sustainability policy in all financial products and services that we, as an AIFM-approved partner, provide to our clients. The policy applies to our activities in Sweden, Finland and Denmark.